What can we do if the babys father is refusing to give us the babys clothes and furniture? 3 Answers as of June 22, 2011

My daughter left the baby daddy about 4 weeks ago and they were never married. He will not let us have any of the baby clothes or toys. The baby daddy is in Jail right now, but he is telling his dad what to do. Not sure if he is going to get out or not. Just wondering if we have any rights to the clothes and furniture or toys that we had bought, as now I am having to buy a outfit every time I go to town. About a week ago I took the child to see him for the afternoon and when I got him back he was only in a diaper and he had on shorts and a t-shirt when I dropped him off. Now if he gets out of Jail does he have any rights to see his son? He went in for selling drugs.

I would recommend that you retain a family law attorney in your area to discuss her rights and options in a paternity suit. Good luck!
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
In a practical sense, without a court order you will probably not get the clothes and toys back. But under Georgia law, the father has no rights to the child if the parents were never married and the father has not legitimated the child. So if that is the case, you are not required to bring the baby to see the father or grandparents.
You failed to tell us if he has legitimated the child or has any existing custody or visitation order, so no answer is possible.