What can we do as grandparents if our son's ex wife is degrading our name? 9 Answers as of April 04, 2013

I would like to ask two questions concerning a current divorce that my son is going through. Ex-wife is taking away all communication between our grandsons and us. Ex-wife has been degrading our names to the boys (grandsons). Should we get legal counsel or how should our son handle the situation concerning us?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Ticktin Law Group
The Ticktin Law Group | Peter Ticktin
It would seem that if your son`s ex-wife has been slandering your name and reputation and denying access, even to the extent of communication, there are actually two problems here, one involves a civil action possibly brought by you to get this woman to cease and desist from making these comments ( depending upon to whom they were made ) and secondly, and more importantly, you mayl require the services of a competent domestic lawyer to ensure you have proper access to your grandsons. Is your son represented by an attorney? Hopefully, this issue can be resolved by that legal representative.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/4/2013
Shur Law Co., LPA
Shur Law Co., LPA | Tonya VanBenschoten
There's not much you can do. Your time with your grandchildren will come from your son's parenting time. Parents have a constitutional right to parent as they see fit. The only real way to have an input will be through your son.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/2/2013
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
You have zero rights. your son has to file the appropriate motions. Part of co-parenting includes not trashing the other sides family however that motion has to be filed by your son.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/2/2013
John Russo | John Russo
Instead of impleading into the matter take that money and make sure that your son has retained a good divorce lawyer, not just a lawyer, someone with a reputation in the family courts, these types of issues are difficult since in reality you have very little standing in the divorce proceeding, but neither party should be making disparaging remarks about the other or their families in the presence of the minor children, a good family law attorney will know how to handled this type of thing.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/1/2013
Your son needs to handle this through his attorney. If you get an attorney and join the case you could be responsible for ex's fees.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    I would ignore it. You are not a party to the divorce and have no legal standing with it. When your son gets custody, he can say nice things about you to the children.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/1/2013
    Law Offices of John S. Keating
    Law Offices of John S. Keating | John S. Keating
    Your son should seek to include, in any separation agreement/judgment of divorce, the following provisions: 1. A "non-disparagement" clause, which prohibits either party from bad-mouthing the other party in front of the children. I see no reason why such a clause, which is pretty standard, couldn't be broadened to include a prohibition on bad-mouthing the other party's family, as well. 2. There should be a clause in the agreement which requires each party to cooperate in allowing/fostering communication (by telephone, text message, email, etc.) between the children, on the one hand, and the other party and his/her family, on the other hand.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 4/1/2013
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    This depends on the law of the State you live in. Before you do anything, talk to a divorce lawyer. And do that soon.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 4/1/2013
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
    Your rights flow through your son. He should be providing you with visitation as part of his custodial time. As for disparaging remarks, your son should have that addressed in the order as well. You can pursue direct visitation orders, but they are very difficult to get.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/1/2013
Click to View More Answers: