What can we do after a Denial of Application for Green Card? 2 Answers as of June 08, 2011

My aunt who's been in the us for more than 10+ lost her green card but didn't realize it until recently. She applied to have it replaced and the application was denied because they (usics) claimed have no record of her being here. How can that be? She used the A# in her expired passport to apply. Moreover, she has a ss# and files her taxes yearly. What's going on? Could she be the victim of id theft? What should she do? She came to the us thru NY. I'm confused.

These are unusual facts. Your aunt should gather all her immigration filings and documents and consult with an immigration attorney. She may need to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get a copy of the governments file on her. How did she get her permanent residence; and are you sure it was a legitimate filing?
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
This appears to be an unusual case, and I would need to personally speak to your aunt. We may have to order her entire file- she must have one because she has an alien number. A few years back, I had a young lady as a client. Her green card interview was originally rushed and scheduled months ahead of the typical waiting time because her husband had brain cancer and was dying. In the rush to get her approved and scheduled at the local office, the officer who got her approved failed to enter the information in the USCIS computer, but provided her with an approval stamp in her passport. It took months to get the matter straighten out, and many trips to the local office and many phone calls. Finally, a senator intervened and ordered the USCIS local office to get their act together. I also had another client who said he had a green card issued in 1948, he lost it and the USCIS computer could not find his case. (I guess there was no computer in 1948). We had to get his mother's file and his brother's file in order to locate his Alien number and get the matter straighten out. Each case is unique.