What can we do about a property dispute between co-owners? 1 Answers as of June 27, 2011

Myself and another co-own the property I have lived in for the past several years. The other person is now demanding that I let them live with me or that I vacate the property so they can live here. There is no written agreements, only a history of this being my residence while the other has always maintained a separate residence. I have offered to sell my half of the property to them, or to sell it properly on the market and equally split the equity, but the person refuses to sell or buy me out. Letting this person move in with me and my children is not an option I find acceptable. Is there any legal action I can take to force mediation or find some solution that doesn't involve me losing my home without compensation or having to have an unwelcomed house-mate?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
Yes, consult an attorney with real estate or property experience and ask about a petition for partition. This is an equitable lawsuit where the judge will determine the rights of the parties with respect to the property.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: