What can/should I do to get my record expunged or is that even necessary? 8 Answers as of January 10, 2014

I'm 18, about to turn 19 in a few days. I was caught shoplifting a $12 lipstick on Black Friday at a mall. I sampled a beautiful lipstick and proceeded to get in the enormous line to pay for my one item and thought about how tired I was and like an idiot slipped the lipstick out of the box and walked out of the store. A lady from security followed me out of the store and brought me back into the camera room took my information and picture banning me from the store for a lifetime and told me I would most likely have a $200 fee to pay when I had court. I was not arrested, a mall officer came in to read me rights and ban me from this mall for a year and like I said the lady from security banned me for a lifetime from the store specifically. I was completely honest with her, I stole the lipstick, this was the first time I've ever shoplifted, this is the first time I've ever been involved with the law. I was just being stupid and wanted to go home but I was too impatient to wait in that long line for one little lipstick. I realize I've done wrong and just want to have a regular chance again to get a new job and get an apartment and be a normal applicant to anything I apply for again. What can/should I do?

O'Leary Associates, P.A.
O'Leary Associates, P.A. | John A. O'Leary
If never arrested you have no police record only with the store and it's a ban not a criminal record.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your college/career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
The Montes Law Firm
The Montes Law Firm | Lucio Antonio Montes
Where you arrested? Were you given a citation from a police officer? If you did not receive anything that requires you to deal with the court system, then you likely do not have anything to expunge. If you are still unsure, you should consult with a local criminal defense attorney to ease your mind. Good luck.
If the item you took was less than $50.00, have your attorney ask for a reduction to an infraction. On applications that ask if you have ever been arrested or convicted for a felony or misdemeanor, you can truthfully answer NO.
So, it is the store's fault for having such "beautiful" lipstick and such "long" lines. Everyday I learn something new. First, you received a criminal trespass warning, and If you return you will be arrested for criminal trespass. Second, you will receive a civil fine in the mail for $ 200. Third, if the store wants to they can prosecute you for shoplifting. If you are prosecuted for shoplifting that will not come off your record. Fourth, your name will appear on a list that is accessed by retail companies before they hire anyone.
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    If you were actually charged with shoplifting, then you need to hire an attorney to get the charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense. Do not plead guilty. If this happened in Missouri and you already pleaded guilty, then there is no way to get the conviction expunged.
    Get an attorney to hopefully mitigate your damages and keep this off of your permanent record.
    With a lawyer, you should be able to get diversion and no active case.