What can the punishment be for driving the wrong way on the freeway if you plead guilty? 8 Answers as of June 20, 2011

My friend plead guilty for driving the wrong way on a California interstate freeway. She has mental health issues (bipolar) and told the police at time that she had mental issues and had not been taking medications. She was taken in to local hospital by police and stayed there until her mental health was better. At the first court appearance she plead guilty (I think the public defender recommended that) and is scheduled for sentencing soon. What kind of sentencing is expected? Jail time? Fine? Something else?

Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
Generally, it would be considered an infraction unless there is a reckless driving charge then there would be sentencing possibilities.
There is no way for anyone out here to know what her attorney, the Deputy Public Defender, agreed to as conditions for her guilty plea. Every misdemeanor carries up to 6-12 months in jail and fines. She can ask her attorney what she agreed to. Its a little late now to be wondering what she faces.
The Law Office of Lewis R. Rosenblum
The Law Office of Lewis R. Rosenblum | Lewis Rosenblum
Unfortunately your question doesn't contain enough information to provide a satisfactory answer. It depends what she was charged with an infraction or a misdemeanor. If it was an infraction, it can only be a fine. If it was a misdemeanor than she could be subjected to jail time. The big issue is whether they suspected any alcohol or drugs were in her system. I am also assuming she had a valid CDL at the time.
The Chastaine Law Office
The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
It is difficult to say without more information. There may have been an agreement at the time of the plea.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
Driving the wrong way on the freeway is normally just an infraction. However, from what you say it appears that your friend may be facing the much more serious offense of assault with a deadly weapon. If that is the case she could be facing a prison sentence. If she is found guilty of the offense of PC 245 she could also lose her driving privilege for life. If I were you and your friend has mental health issues I would speak to the public defender personally or go see a criminal defense attorney to get a second opinion before it is too late.
    There is no way to predict what she ends up being charged with. It could be a simple infraction or a more serious misdemeanor, such as reckless driving. The prosecutor who reviews the file will make that decision.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    If your friend wants know, that's something her public defender should have advised her of prior to entering a guilty plea. Severity of sentence always depends on circumstances.
    Srai Law Office
    Srai Law Office | Gurjit Singh Srai, Esq.
    It is impossible to give you an answer to your question without having more facts. Generally, sentencing will depend on what crime she pleaded to, any previous criminal history, and the facts in this specific case.