What can a parent do if their child has epilepsy and the school will not get her an aide to be with her throughout the day? 5 Answers as of April 30, 2014

We have a child in our school who has seizures and doctors orders state she needs to have medicine given within 3 - 5 minutes of a seizure or she could die. The school is refusing to get the student an aide to be with her throughout the day. What recourse does the parent have? I am the school counselor and am advocating for the parent.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Sorry, I have never had any idea that a parent could force a school to hire special help what does the superintendent say about all this? What does health and human services say? see if you can find a lawyer who formerly represented the school board.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/30/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
I think that you need to contact the school administration and argue that it is mandated by the Federal government so that the child can be properly educated. However, if she is receiving medication and the seizures are controlled, she probably should not need someone.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/30/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
I suppose the school could sue the district. On the other hand, if the teachers are aware of the problem and have the ability to administer the medicine, is an aide necessary?
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/30/2014
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
The best course and perhaps most expedient is to seek out and consult with an Education Advocate. The issue can be forced with the school district. An advocate will help get through the process as quickly as possible and for the benefit of the child.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/30/2014
Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP | Robert M. Gardner, Jr.
You should look into an IEP for your child, and possibly hiring an attorney to represent you to help get what your child needs.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/30/2014
Click to View More Answers: