What can the other party sue for if he is threatening to take me to small claims court? 5 Answers as of June 29, 2013

I was involved in an accident where the man did not contact the police at the scene of the accident until later that night. The cop called me on his cell phone while off duty and wasnt even in an office while taking my information. I have not heard from the cop since and i have no heard from my insurance company. This man has been calling my cell phone asking for money because my insurance will not give him a deductible. I am just wondering what this man can sue me for since he is threatining to take me to a small claims court?

James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
How do you know that the person you gave your info to was a cop? It could have been his brother! That's how he got your info to harass you for $$$. He can sue you for $3500 (small claims max.). Tell him you'll report him to the police for threatening you. Also
Up to $500 for property damage.
Are you sure that the police officer really IS a cop? The other guy can sue you for $500 maximum, for property damage. However, if he is NOT insured, he may not be able to sue you at all. I am not sure of that, because I do not usually get involved with property claims. I do know that for injuries, you can't sue if you were not insured, even if you were not at fault. I have a funny feeling that this guy is trying to scam you into paying. Just notify your auto insurance and let them deal with it.
Koning & Jilek, P.C.
Koning & Jilek, P.C. | Jonathan Neal Jilek
You may be sued for the amount of the deductible or under the "mini-tort" in Michigan. See the information located here. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip206_25091_7.pdf
If you were at fault in the accident you may be liable for payment of all or part of the "not at fault" drivers deductable.