What can my son who was arrested for his first DUI do? 4 Answers as of April 05, 2011

My son was pulled over for a DUI last week. He cooperated with the police, and there was no damage to property. He might not be able to afford an attorney. What will the trial be like if he blew a .08?

What will the trial will be like depends on who is representing your son. If he represents himself it will be ridiculous. If a private attorney represents him it will be better. If the public defender represents him, it will be better than the new attorney (less than two years out of law school), if the public defender is more than two years out of law school. If an experienced criminal attorney represents him it would be best. Good luck.
No one can predict what will happen in court. We are The Goolsby Law Firm, LLC located in Augusta, GA. I would recommend that he try to retain a criminal attorney, but if he cannot afford one, then hopefully, a good public defender will be appointed and will go over his rights and options. Good luck!
Lori C. Obenauf LLC
Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
If your son cannot afford an attorney, he needs to have an attorney appointed to represent him. The long term consequences of a DUI are much more costly than one would expect and one should never attempt to handle a criminal case without adequate counsel.
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C.
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. | Andrew R. Lynch
Point .08 is the legal limit. He will need an attorney. If you are unable to afford an attorney you should inform the court and ask the court for an appointed attorney.