What can my mom do about an expired visa? 5 Answers as of May 23, 2011

My mom has been in US for about 25 years now. Her resident card expired five years ago. What does she do?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
Your mother should renew it or file for citizenship. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
The green card itself does not give your mom her legal status so to speak, it acts as proof of her status. If expired she must renew the green card.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Do you mean your mom has an expired green card? (An expired resident card is not quite the same as an expired visa...an expired visa is the stamp in the passport which your mom used to enter the US). If so, she should file for a replacement. Make sure your mother doesn't have a criminal history. When filing for a replacement, the USCIS will ask your mother to report for fingerprint (Proper terminology is Biometrics). The USCIS will check whether she has any criminal convictions..If so, this could trigger a notice to appear for removal (deportation) proceeding. Proceed with caution.
Assuming that there is no negative reason why she let her green card expire, then I say renew it! It seems that she has one of those green cards that do not carry an expiration date. Everyone with such a green card was to renew it for the 10-year green card, but in my experience they are still letting people in her category renew their cards anyway. BUT, I strongly recommend you consult with an attorney to make the process smooth because there may be some issues that will need to be looked at before renewing it. Also, there are many questions in this situation that will need to be answered before going forward with the renewal. Good luck!
Does she have an expired Visa or an expired Green Card? If an expired Green Card she can file an I-90 to obtain a replacement.