What can my brother do about the possession of a weapon? 8 Answers as of June 03, 2013

My brother is a convicted felon and there was a gun in the trunk of my car in which no one knew about. My brother had my car on Sunday night, but I had the car that previous Friday and Saturday. A neighbor walked across the street to talk to my brother and his friend and went back across the street and the police came and decided to search my car and without notifying me or my grandfather, the owner of the house. My brother was arrested and the other people that were out there at this same time who had warrants for their arrests were let go and the police told my brothers friend to take my car and do whatever he wanted to do with it, he (who also had a warrant for his arrest) did take it to my house. What can be done in this matter?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Why did they search the vehicle? Maybe there was no good reason for the arrest and the results could be suppressed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/3/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
So, you are saying the neighbor planted the gun? What are you saying, because someone had to know about the gun. The vehicle did not put the gun in its trunk.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/28/2013
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
They have to prove dominion and control to find a person guilty, and obviously they can't, so he should fight it. He should not take a deal, which too often is suggested by bottom-dwelling lawyers.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/27/2013
Law Office of Andrew Gable | Andrew Gable
Was your brother charged locally or by the feds? In either case it is a serious charge with the real potential for jail time. You should not post anything else about the case on the internet and should contact a criminal lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/27/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 5/27/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Hire a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 5/27/2013
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    Your brother need to retain an attorney to look into the matter. He may have a defense to the charges.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/27/2013
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Your brother hires a lawyer and the lawyer forces you to testify that it was not your brother's gun. The lawyer could move to suppress the evidence on the ground that the search was illegal.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/27/2013
Click to View More Answers: