What can a male do if he does not want to keep a child? 20 Answers as of November 07, 2011

A woman I have dated for over a year is now two weeks pregnant, we had split up before then. During that time we dated I had stressed and had many fights about what would happen if she had become pregnant. I have a child with another woman and stressed to her how much I do not want any more offspring. During the time I made sure she took her birth control every night before bed and if I was not there to see her made sure I ask if she did. Now she is pregnant again with her fourth child, three from her previous marriage. She is now on public assistance for food and housing and thinks she needs another child she can't support. She wants to keep it and I don't is there anything I can do about it.

Law Office of James Bordonaro
Law Office of James Bordonaro | James Albert Bordonaro
No, you can't force her to have an abortion. You cannot relieve yourself of responsibility but may have your rights terminated if you don't offer to support her in the last 6 months of her pregnancy. You should contact an attorney. Perhaps she can be convinced to give the child up for adoption.
There is nothing you can do to compel either an abortion or an adoption.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Armand Fried
Sorry to tell you, you are stuck and will probably be forced to pay child support because welfare will seek it even if she does not. Obviously you can't force her to have an abortion, and once the child is born, you are the biological father and rare responsible for supporting the child. Her irresponsibility does not relieve you of the obligations you have under the law. I often sya: we deal in courts of law, not courts of justice.
Alfred Law Firm
Alfred Law Firm | Janice Alfred
The only thing you can do is ask her to consent to you legally relinquishing your parental rights and obligation to pay child support. If the child is yours and she sues you for child support you will have to pay it. If you do not, you may lose your driver's license, be placed in jail, be garnished, etc.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Are you even sure that it is yours? I would definitely insist on a DNA test. If the child is yours, then there is nothing you can do other than develop a relationship with your child. But if the child is not yours, you would not be responsible for anything.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    The mother will be able to keep the child. If you are concerned that the child is not yours you may request a DNA test.
    The decisions regarding a pregnancy, by law, are made by the woman carrying the child. The decisions regarding the pregnancy are hers alone.
    Sorry, but there is nothing you can do to make her abort. Your sole protection was to have worn protection. Now the ball is in her court, so to speak, and she gets to have that fourth child and you get to support it. You may wish to seek counsel with a child support specialist to seek to avoid paying support by attacking paternity. Good luck.
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    I can't think of anything. If you are the parent, you will be required to support the child economically whether or not you "parent" in the broader sense.
    If you didn't want a child, YOU had the obligation to keep your pants zipped. No, you cannot dump the child on the taxpayers. You must pay support for 18 years or go to jail. Your post, frankly, is shocking, and you really need to get a vasectomy so you don't cause more problems. This is your fault, so do not blame her. You are responsible.
    If you are the biological father, you will be obligated to pay child support unless the bio mom does not request support.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    Not much. It is her body. If she wants to keep the child, then, she is going to.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    It is the woman's choice whether to have the child or not because the child is in HER body.
    AyerHoffman, LLP
    AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
    No, there is nothing you can do about your current situation. However, once the child is born you can file a complaint to establish paternity and seek to establish your custodial rights. Given the fact that she is currently on state assistance programs, you can more or less expect to be ordered through the department of revenue to pay child support for this child.
    Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC
    Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC | Daniel B. Rubanowitz
    Taking or using birth control is not just the responsibility of the woman in the relationship. The legislature and the Court's understand that this is a very serious matter for the both of you. However, she has the right to make decisions about the pregnancy because it is her body. You are strongly encouraged to speak with a Family Law Attorney to educate yourself on this and related issues.
    Robinson & Geraldo
    Robinson & Geraldo | Alex Fernandez
    There is nothing you can do to force her to terminate.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    There is nothing you can do about it.