What can the IRS take for tax bill from my mothers estate? 1 Answers as of July 15, 2011

My mother died recently with no will. We think she owes money to the IRS, but we are not sure how much. Her life insurance named my sister beneficiary. She had about $1000 in the bank and a small stock account worth about $1200. If those accounts named a beneficiary (not the estate), can the IRS take those to satisfy her debt? She rented her house, so we moved her stuff into storage. It is old furniture, tools, kitchen stuff, clothes, TV's, etc. (Nothing worth more than $100 by itself.) Will the IRS seize that to pay the debt? What about credit card bills? Do we have to have an administrator since the estate is insolvent?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
from what you say, there is no need to open an estate, so the IRS has nothing to claim against