What can I sue for if the a manager didn’t accept a coupon for my child since our last names didn’t match? 3 Answers as of January 26, 2017

I sign my children up for birthday clubs and periodically receive emailed coupons for restaurants. A few days ago, we went to a restaurant to eat and had a birthday coupon to use for my daughter on her 5th birthday. The manager was called to approve the coupon. When she came over the first employee helping us asked her, how coupon was approved for a minor child with no ID. The manager told her to ask for the parent’s ID. My email address was on the paper with my full name. After looking at my ID, the manager then told me that he can’t take the coupon because my child and my last name don’t match. I asked her what difference it made when she is a minor and I am her mother and that is why I receive emails for my children. I also asked her where it was stated on the paper. I have called corporate and I am waiting for a return call. My family was very upset and left the restaurant. My children were crying and didn’t understand why we were treated so poorly and humiliated in front of staff, customers and the rest of our family. They had come to celebrate her birthday with us. I didn’t care about using the coupon but on the coupon it definitely doesn’t say that a child and mother last names must be the same. In that case, I would not been able to sign her up and we have used them in the past. We could not stay after we were discriminated against and I will not let this rest until the matter is resolved!

It won't be a case that attorneys will accept due the amount of damages and unfortunately, you cannot claim punitive damages in Michigan. Keep trying with corporate to get taken care of.
Unless you can prove that the manager discriminated against you due to race, ethnicity, or some other Federally protected class, you probably don't have a case. The manager can exercise discretion. You might contact the company and complain.
Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
Anybody with $400 can sue. On the other hand, it does not sound like you sustained any injury. Children take their cues from the parents and if you had acted like a mature adult who lost $5, I don't see how your child would be crying unless YOU made a scene. Your best recourse is to write the home office in a calm responsible manner.