What can I legally do if I want to leave my boyfriend but we have a baby? 2 Answers as of September 11, 2017

I'm not married to him but he is the father. I need to go home back to another state. I have all my family there. This man won't let me leave. He said that he can have me arrested for kidnapping the baby and have other things put on me. I really need to be out of this horrible relationship.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
If there are no court orders for custody and visitation you cannot be held for kidnapping. If there is no court case pending then you are free to remove the child from the State of California. Once a court case is filed, then you have to get court permission to leave the State with the baby, so it is generally advised to leave now before a court case is filed. You should always make sure that the father has a phone number to reach you, and after you are out of State you can provide him with an address.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/11/2017
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
The safest thing to do is to retain the services of an experienced family law attorney and get court orders allowing you to relocate the child to where you would like to move. To leave without those orders, you run the risk of father getting court orders mandating the return of the child to the home state.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/10/2017
Click to View More Answers: