What can I legally do if a client issued check that bounced? 2 Answers as of November 10, 2015

I have client who bought items from us for almost $2000. He gave me check and bank return the check because there is not enough funds. I contacted him through email and phone but there was no answer. I can't find him, only the phone, and I left messages many times and email with the proof of bounced check and invoice. I don't know what to do.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Call information, ask for his number, when the operator gives it ask if that is the person on 123 main Street and if you are lucky the operator will say no 145 Oak St.[called a reverse directory]. Look on the internet if you can find them. If you think they own a house, go to the county recorders office and look at the grantor-grantee index under their name; try the county court web site to see if they are listed in any lawsuit and if that suit shows their address. Try a web site that for a charge will look up people and their addresses. If you still can not find him, report him to the police. Once you do get your money, report him.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2015
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
Best bet is to file a report with the police and/or local district attorney's office. Some DA offices have a division that does nothing else but pursue bad check writer's. You also might check to see if you have insurance coverage for this loss, as it may constitute a theft for which you may have an endorsement on your insurance policy.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/9/2015
Click to View More Answers: