What can I lawfully do if they won’t give me my car back? 1 Answers as of May 22, 2014

My boyfriend got in a car chase with the police and he took off running since he has warrants. When I went to the impound, a police officer told me that I wasn't going to get my car back unless I told him where my boyfriend was or set him up so they could arrest him. He said it was legal because he will just say that it is getting held for evidence. Can they do that?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
No it is not legal and they cannot do that. Need to contact the police and have the car released to you.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 5/22/2014
Click to View More Answers: