What can I expect on a first time theft charge? 10 Answers as of June 27, 2013

I’m 18 years old with no criminal background what so ever. I was with a friend and made the horrible choice to shoplift with her. They charged me with $50 and her with the $50 worth of merchandise and combined it to make 101 dollars but everything we took was 50. I’m in Harris county and I was wondering what will be done? I have a court day on September 27 to see a judge. I am getting a lawyer. This happened at Walmart. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
On account of your young age, I would hope that you would qualify for youthful offender status which may prevent you from having a criminal record. It is possible that you may be able, with the assistance of counsel to keep from having a conviction. Note, most Wal-Mart stores are zealous in prosecuting shoplifters.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 9/25/2012
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
If it is a first offense under $150 the prosecutor may offer an ACD dismissal if you have a good lawyer and no prior criminal record. Shoplifting is a bad decision since you are risking your future, your reputation, and your career for a few dollars worth of merchandise that you didn't even need. I a sure you have learned your lesson, but you will have to make much better decisions in the future and learn what is illegal and how to handle situations that will arise. Never talk to the police no matter what they threaten or promise and never consent to a search. Do not stay in a house or car if there is anything illegal there or stay with people who are committing a crime or you are going to get arrested as an accomplice. Never drive a car if you have been drinking and do not assault, harass, or threaten anyone because that is also illegal. As long as you are not arrested again you will not have a criminal record or have to worry about getting a job or getting into college.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/25/2012
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Your lawyer should be able to tell you what you are facing, my guess, a term of supervision, which is not a conviction for your permanent record, perhaps some community service, as well.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/25/2012
Law Office of Phillip Weiser
Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
Most likely probation.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 9/24/2012
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Hopefully your lawyer can work out some type of pre-trial diversion. Otherwise you will be looking at probation, and a conviction that you will need to explain to potential employers for the rest of your life.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/24/2012
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    Your attorney could work it out so that you have no record if you do what ever the court wants. This is huge. This is not a little no consequence offense. This a can affect the rest of your life. It will make it very hard for you to get a job.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/21/2012
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
    You are making a wise decision to get the lawyer. Your county seems to have a history of making unusual determinations of appropriate sentences. Your own lawyer is the one to give you the most accurate information of what to expect because he/she will have the most information concerning the case.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 9/21/2012
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    You will probably be offered diversion.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/27/2013
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    Depending on the judge you could get jail time. However, you should look for a plea that allows you to complete education programs on theft which would result in no crime on your record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/21/2012
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Do what your lawyer says. You will probably be offered a deferred prosecution agreement. When you complete all the requirements the case will probably be dropped.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/21/2012
Click to View More Answers: