What can I expect in a car accident settlement? 40 Answers as of August 22, 2012

My wife and I were involed in an auto accident. A lady ran a red. We moved to China the next month. My wife received chiropractic and massage treatment for one month before we left. She has tried to get treatment in China with little succes. 7 montsh later we returned to US for family visit and she received another month of treatment. My wife's U.S. doctor feels she stands a chance of recovery, but we would have to rethink or life in China. We would have to return to China and wrap up a few obligations, then return for her treatments. This would be a huge expence. We are trying to reach a settlement with the driver who caused the accident. What should we ask for? We can we expect?

It is impossible to value your claim without a lot more information, including liability, insurance coverage, medical costs and the extent she got better.
You do not give enough information for me to advise what to ask for. If you are doing this without an attorney, figure out what you think is fair. Ultimately, the insurance company will base any offer on its view of what a jury might award. Juries d not usually give large verdicts if the only treatment is chiropractic. Often, you can only get the med bills paid and a thousand or two above that. Sometimes, not even that.
Lapin Law Offices
Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
I cannot answer your question about how much you and your wife's cases are worth as I would need a lot more information. Generally, a person is entitled to be "made whole" for injuries and damages sustained in a motor vehicle accident. There are a number of different items that a person is entitled to be compensated for after they have been injured. These include, but are not limited to: whether an injury is permanent; how the injury affected a person while they were recovering; medical expenses; lost wages; pain and suffering; and inconvenience. There is no "magic formula" to determine the value of a case. Each case is different and dependent on its own facts. I would not consider settling until you know whether your wife's injuries are permanent. Cases are worth more money if someone has a permanent injury. I would strongly suggest contacting a personal injury attorney to discuss your case. Most offer a free initial consultation and you can get more information about the possible value of your cases.
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
I need more facts; is your wife's condition permanent? What are the lost wages and property damage?
Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
You should immediately hire a lawyer before the statute of limitations runs!
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Well, that is a complex question which requires a lot of work. Everything must be documented. Their are multiple claims.
    Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
    Can't say without reviewing meds and accident report. In Mi, damages may not rise to level serious impairment. Thus, minimal value of less than 5K. Use rule of thins of 3 times Medicals for a rough value.
    In order to sue for being injured in a car accident you have to sustain a "serious injury" which includes death, dismemberment, a broken bone, loss of a fetus, significant disfigurement and certain other specific kinds of lesser injuries including being disabled for at least ninety of the first one hundred and eighty days following the accident. It doesn't seem like you have that.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Not much Mr. and Mrs. World Travellers. Chiropractic and massage therapy don't impress anyone. You can expect 2-5K maximum.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    You can expect very little. It sounds as if your wife's injury is very small and so it will not meet the threshold.
    Durkin & Graham, P.C.
    Durkin & Graham, P.C. | Joan Durkin
    Assuming that what your wife has are soft tissue injuries, it would be very hard to convince a jury that she still needed treatment 7 or 8 months later. China has a wealth of treatment options so if she was not so badly injured that she secured treatment there, it would appear that it resolved on its own. That being said, I doubt you could claim any relocation costs as part of this claim. Generally the value of the claim is the total medical bills and lost wages times two. That is often reduced for overpriced bills (EX: doctors charge $110 per visit but your insurance company reprices it and the EOB shows they pay $42, the bill is $42 not $110). This multiple can be higher or lower depending on your county.
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    No lawyer could honestly answer this question on the facts provided.
    Buchholdt Law Offices | Jon M. Buchholdt
    If the driver was insured, deal with his insurance company. Otherwise, lots of luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    Law Office of Gregory Crain | Gregory Crain
    Compensation for your injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Your situation is much too complicated to just be able to give you a quick and easy solution. Instead I would suggest you sit down with a lawyer who practices in the county where the accident happened and hire him/her to handle it for you.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    Why can't your wife REMAIN in US while you conclude business in China?
    Michigan is a no fault state, and it is your insurer who is to provide for your medical expenses. If you are seeking additional funds from the at fault driver you will have to meet the threshold. Next time you are in the jurisdiction engage an attorney to review the situation. Also seek referrals to determine if your can continue your wife;s course of treatment in China.
    Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
    Hire an attorney that does personal injury claims. A professional that has access to your medical records and bills can give you an estimate of the value of the claim.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    There are many questions that also need to be answered. Has the doctor given a permanency rating, what are the insurance coverage's, lost wages, medical bills etc. there are numerous factors that go into valuing and pursuing an injury claim. The insurance company will greatly underpay you if you do this without counsel who can properly threaten litigation and has experience with the adjusters.
    Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
    You should ask for the insurance policy limits but you will not get them without an experienced attorney.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    In New York State, the seriousness of the injury is a key factor in how much one would receive in a settlement. You must prove that the injury was of a serious nature in accordance with the New York State Insurance Law, I.e. Threshold. If your wife only received one month of treatment and there was no fractures, scarring, etc. her injuries may not reach the level of injury required in New York. You should contact an attorney to discuss this further.
    NOLAN LAW LLC | Joshua J. Nolan
    The value of your wife's claim claim is largely related to the specific injury your wife received. She is also entitled to recover the reasonable costs incurred for medical treatment, lost wages, as well as pain and suffering. If it is medically necessary for your wife to return to the U.S., you may be able to recover the moving expenses as well. However, without information regarding the specific diagnosis, any lost wages, etc., it is impossible to place a dollar value on the claim.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    The value of a claim depends on the amount of injury, time of recovery, how the injury impacts your life and the collectability of the defendant. To be able to recover for personal injury at all you must show a serious impairment of a bodily function, permanent servious disfigurement and/or death. From the information provided it is not possible to attempt to place a value on the claim. You should seek the advise of a personal injury attorney.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    You should retain a plaintiff's personal injury lawyer for specific legal advice and assistance. That lawyer should assist both of you in seeking a full recovery of all of your expenses and ?damages caused by the automobile collision.
    Selik Law Offices
    Selik Law Offices | JOEL SELIK
    In my opinion, until your wife's medical condition is stationary or can be predicted with a reasonable degree of medical certainty, it would be premature to settle the case. Do keep in mind time limitations within which to file suit or take other action or be forever barred from compensation.
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
    Your questions are too general. These settlements are based upon a number of factors, liability, medical expenses, prognosis and loss of earnings. Without more information your question is impossible to answer.
    Insufficient information. I cannot imagine a competent attorney aswering tha question on line. Hire counsel.
    Timiney Law Firm
    Timiney Law Firm | Leigh Anne Timiney
    It is very difficult to predict the outcome of a personal injury settlement without knowing all the facts of your case. I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in personal injury and obtain a consultation. I realize your move to China has made this a more difficult situation for you and your wife. That being said, it is impossible to tell you what type of settlement to expect without knowing all the facts of your case.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    You probably need an attorney to get a fair settlement or judgment regarding your case. Every case is different and every jury is different. Trying to do it yourself is usually not a good idea. Call a professional.
    Settlements vary depending on the state and city you live in. They also vary depending on your injuries, medical insurance and insurance coverage of the other driver. You should talk to an attorney about your case. There is no way to determine a fair settlement based on the information you have provided.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    Impossible to give you a value it depends upon the total amount of her medical treatments and if Aussies having his chiropractic treatments without any surgery the value is not very high. You need to get a orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon to look at her and determine if she is ever going to need surgery. I have not enough information to even give you a guess. Get a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Assessment of an appropriate settlement requires detailed analysis of liability and damages, including application of legal principles, evidenciary factors, medical documentation and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. You don't state what the injuries are. Your wife's doctor probably cannot tell right now whether there will be a permanent injury or what the extent of disability will be. At any rate, your wife was well enough to travel to China and back. Many people use this site to ask what their case is worth. Our answers are always: Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. That is the best way to get the best settlement in your case.
    Hal Whiteman | Hal Whiteman
    I am afraid it would be impossible to give you concrete information based on what you have said. Key questions include the exact facts of the accident; the venue of the at fault driver; the degree of and type of injury; the other driver's insurance company; the amount of insurance limits the driver had; and perhaps the amount of uninsured or underinsured coverage you had ( if the driver had no insurance or had less than you carried). Many, many factors go intend calculation of settlements in personal injury cases. I should say that it sounds, again based only on your description, that you were not injured and your wife had minor injuries since she has had only chiropractic and massage treatments. Those types of injuries rarely produce large settlements absent some exceptional circumstances.
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    I suggest you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your specific case.
    You have compromised your claim by breaking up your care. but if your dr is strong in your favor (that the accident caused your injuries) you should prevail. Ask for 5 or 6 times your medical bills and take what you can get.
    Paris Blank LLP
    Paris Blank LLP | Irving M Blank
    You have not given anywhere near enough facts to answer your question. These case do not settle quickly and your situation will make it even more difficult to settle. You should be talking to the lady's insurance company, but more importantly, you should get a lawyer.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney