What can I expect from my car insuarnce rates after a DUI? 43 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I was charged with a DUI and I realize that my insurance rates will go up. I want to know what I can expect from my car insurance and if there is anything I can do to prevent them from increasing too high.

Oberman & Rice
Oberman & Rice | Steven Oberman
Once convicted of a DUI, your insurance rates will likely increase – a lot. That is one reason it is so important to aggressively defend your case. However, if convicted, you will likely be placed on “high risk” insurance (sometimes referred to as an SR-22 (which is just the form for “high risk” insurance). The amount of the increase depends, among other factors, on your driving record and how good a customer you are with that company.

The only measure you can take to try to mitigate the situation is to 1. Talk to your insurance agent to negotiate a lower premium; and/or 2. Shop around for other insurance. You will find that prices can greatly vary.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Insurance companies have a lot of discretion when it comes to determining their rates. However, it is fairly easy now to get multiple quotes from many different companies. Be honest, of course, about the conviction. Hiding a conviction from a prospective insurer could result in additional trouble. However, it is easy now to shop around and you'll have a good frame of reference for prices.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
The only thing I can suggest is after the disposition of the DUI charge contact your local insurance agent, inform. Him of the situation if he does not know already and seek his advice and assistance with the insurance carrier to try to keep the rates as low as possible.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Initially, unless there was an accident or injury claim associated with your DUI, then your reates will not automatically increase. They will increase when your insurance company becomes aware of the conviction. Your best bet is to wait. If you do not change coverage, add a vehicle, or make a claim, then your insurance company may not know of the conviction for some time. If your insurance carrier finds out and wants to increase your premiums, you should shop other carriers to get the best rates. Your insurance carrier could even drop you. Checking for new rates is the only cure for an increase or drop of coverage. I hope that this was helpful.
    For one thing, you will have to buy SR-22 insurance. Shop around because rates vary from carrier to carrier. Talk to your insurance agent. Only he or she can actually quote you what the increase will be. Insurance rates are determined based on your driving record, your credit rating, and other issues. Consequently, those things determine your insurance rates and that's as far as it goes. All you can do is improve those things.
    It would depend on many factors such as what exactly you get convicted of if anything, also what insurance company it is, what your driving record is, how long you have been with the insurance company, which insurance company it is etc. you may be able to take an approved course which may reduce insurance rates. Also other companies may have lower rates.
    It all depends on the insurance company that has you insured and your past driving record.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Steven C. Bullock
    Your insurance company will drop you and you will be required to go into a high risk pool with very high rates.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    The rates will increase.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    Your car insurance rate can increase by about $3,000 a year. If you get an SR-22, this prevents your current insurance rates from rising because of your DUI conviction. I have a referral for great SR-22 rates if you'd like to call my office.
    You do not say how many DUIs you have had, or what else might be on your driving record. These things will all factor into what those rates may be. Your rate may also depend upon the insurance company you have. Some insurance companies will cancel coverage if a person gets a DUI. Regardless, even if the DUI is the only thing you have on your record, most insurance companies will classify you as "high risk", which would require you to purchase high risk insurance, which is commonly referred to as SR22 insurance. You can generally expect these rates to be at least double what your current rates are. Unfortunately, the only one that can really answer this question with specificity is your insurance carrier. I suggest you talk with them. They are going to find out. It's better to be up front with them.
    If your company does not do a record check your insurance might not increase. Pay it onetime, avoid getting tickets, and don't change your policy, add drivers, or report anything minor like a $1,000 accident.
    Huge increases for years, if not cancellation. Don't get convicted if you dont want that. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence, facts and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. Keep in mind a little free advice: When arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking the defendant is given documents that include a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV appeal hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does.
    Harrison & Harrison
    Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
    Expect your rates to go through the roof. You can still shop to find the best rate, but that DUI will make all your quotes higher than they would have been without your DUI.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    Car insurance will definitely increase.
    Insurance companies set their rates based upon their own criteria. I know of no way to gauge what the rates will be with a DUI on the record. I can only tell you to shop around for the best rates and coverage.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Different carriers have different policies. The best thing to do is check with your carrier.
    Grant & Grant
    Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
    Varies with insurance companies and also depends on your driving record and prior accidents. One way to proceed is to immediately contact and hire an experienced DUI Attorney who regularly practices in the court where your case is filed. An attorney can advise you of your defenses and chances of having the DUI charged dismissed or reduced to a reckless driving. Also, most importantly, you only have 10 days from arrest to request a License Suspension Hearing from the DMV. Failure to request the hearing within 10 days will cause your license to be suspended for 4 months.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    If you lose or are convicted your insurance rates will go up dramatically. Insurance premiums will remain elevated for 5 years. You will also be required to buy insurance on your license in addition to your vehicle, known as SR-22. The only thing you can do is hire a DWI lawyer and win or get charges reduced to a non-DWI resolution.
    Deal & Hooks, LLC
    Deal & Hooks, LLC | Shawn P. Hooks
    One of the consequences of a DUI conviction is significantly higher insurance rates. Unfortunately, the only that you can do is to shop around for quotes. The law requires that you carry insurance, how you obtain that insurance and for how much is between you and your carrier.
    This is a question better answered by an insurance agent, not an attorney. However, if you get supervision of the matter, your rates may not be affected, however, if convicted, you license will be revoked and when you are able to qualify for reinstatement, you will see a raise in premiums, perhaps having to get financial responsibility insurance instead of regular insurance. Right now, concentrate on the case itself.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    you can shop around a bit, but your car insurance will go up after a dui.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Each company varies in terms of how they increase premiums. You would have to speak to your agent to find out what you can expect and whether you can do anything short of not getting a conviction to affect the potential increase.
    If you already took a plea then it's probably too latte to do anything about your concerns. But, I seriously doubt that your lawyer sold you out. No one would stand for that. Including the judge. And there would not be a motive for a better deal in another case. Each case is handled on its own merits.
    You will need to contact an insurance agent to help with this answer since the question call for a review of your history, age, status and other factors then just a DUI conviction. Shop around.
    Elmbrook Law Offices
    Elmbrook Law Offices | Gregory Straub
    Your auto insurance rates will go up significantly. To regain your license after suspension or to obtain your occupational license, you will need to obtain an SR-22 filing. This coverage will be significantly more expensive for a three year period. To manage the increase you may want to review your coverage and the vehicle you are insuring. Can you maintain only liability on a less expensive auto? Can you increase your deductibles to the highest level to manage the coverage expense? Look at those items in managing the rate increase.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    If you have not already been convicted then you should certainly consider hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you. An attorney will be able to advise you as to your rights and fight to try to have your charges reduced and/or your sentence suspended. A defense attorney will also be able to help you file an expungement if applicable to keep the conviction off your record and attempt to keep it from affecting your insurance rates. If you are seeking legal representation in Louisiana, I invite you to contact my firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Insurance premiums are based on risk. Most insurance companies view an OWI as substantially increasing the risk. Many insurance companies will cancel the policy of anyone convicted of OWI. However, since Michigan mandates that you have insurance to drive your vehicle, there is what is called the high risk pool for those who have been cancelled but need insurance. In this pool, all companies that write auto insurance in Michigan are required to participate. They must offer insurance, the only question is at what cost. The cost may vary amoung companies but is substantially higher than insurance you might otherwise obtain. Other than shopping around, there is not much you can do to decrease this cost. Typically this situation would last for a period of 3 years.
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC | Daniel Hajji
    Get quotes from other insurance companies who are willing to insure you.
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
    You should contact an insurance company that specializes in DUI policies right away. The sooner you get proof of insurance (SR-22) the greater chance you have of avoiding it going on your driving record. You must contact them before your DMV hearing so you can get the best rates on insurance policies because once your license has been suspended by the DMV your rates will automatically go up. You should also ask the company if they offer refunds if you are successful at the DMV hearing.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    You will need to obtain SR-22 insurance for a period of three years. This insurance is more expensive than your current insurance but rates vary. Shop around.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    There is definitely something you can do to hopefully avoid a massive increase in your car insurance. This has to do with obtaining secondary insurance.
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
    Some companies will cancel you for a DWI especially if you take a conviction. Hopefully you either have a good attorney or you will hire one to represent you. If hou are in my area I might be able to help you.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    You may want to shop around and see if there would be insurance that would be cheaper.
    Osterman Law LLC
    Osterman Law LLC | Mark D. Osterman
    Its time to shop for the eyes with the money underneath or something. As a general rule, insurance companies are blessed by and might was well be the government. The State makes you buy it so these rich companies can charge more. Ever hear of rates going down because the state made them? Not onyour life or during it! So what the insurance companiesdo is they pro-rate a penalty for the number of points on your license. Used to be about $15 a point a quarter. Got 6 points? $90 times 4 means at least a $360 a year increase. That was "GENERALLY" the rule. Had a 3 pointer for that stop sign? You could now be high risk and may be facing some limitations on your license.As the points come off, the pro-rated penalty is reduced. This entire amount and process depends with each insurance company, which may leave you shopping for rates. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Call an insurance company. No attorney can give insurance rate quotes unless they own an insurance company.
    If you get a DUI in court and/or lose a DMV hearing, your insurance will likely double. You can minimize the premium by insuring only liability, which is the statutory minimum.
    Yes your rates will go up and the only way to protect yourseelf is to shop around.
    That is really up to your insurance company. Each one is different and their policies handle DUIs in different ways. Contact them and ask them. Shop around and ask other companies how they would handle it. Sometimes if you take certain classes or participate in programs that will help. Again, that's up to the company. You can help by either pleading it down to something much less severe or fighting it and beating it or getting it drastically reduced. Contact a DUI attorney to review your case and advise you further. You'll be glad you did. A good DUI attorney will more than pay for himself in what he can save you in the long run.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Buy SR -22 insurance before pleading or conviction of DUI and any finding by DMV APS hearing will keep your insurance rates down. Your attorney can help you with this. Not getting convicted will help more! Call me with any questions.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney