What can I expect from being charged with shoplifting? 4 Answers as of July 25, 2011

Hi my daughter lived in North Carolina and went home to Buffalo ny to visit family she got arrested for shoplifting on July 16 2011. I need help on how to handle this living in a diffrent state this is her first time being arrested.

This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, you should hire an attorney in the state that she got arrested in.
Your summary states that your daughter was arrested for shoplifting in Buffalo. She has no prior criminal record so I could have the case dismissed with an ACD for a reasonable fee of about $750. Feel free to call for a consultation.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
The best help you can give your daughter would be to retain criminal defense counsel.
Each County in New York has its own District Attorney that sets policies for plea bargaining. So, I can't tell you what your daughter might be offered in northwestern New York when I practice closer to southern New York. That's a long way away. Nonetheless, where I practice if there are no aggravating circumstances then she might, I emphasize "might", be offered an adjournment and eventual dismissal if she stays out of trouble for a year. She may also be required to do community service and/or an essay. Also, she can fight the charge. Either way she must be represented by an attorney. She's facing a maximum one year in jail. If she cannot afford one then she should ask to judge to appoint a lawyer to represent her free of charge.