What can I do with this non-compete contract in Virginia? Posted on March 22, 2011

My husband is in sales for a plumbing wholesale company (A) that was recently purchased by another rival company. My husband came back to work at plumbing company A just over a year ago. He had left A for about 8 years, after working there for almost 20 years. His customers followed him to company "B" and then followed him back to A. Now this new company, "C," wants to hire him. They stated they have wanted him for a long time - and he has been trying to persuade his customers to follow him here to C (they have had previous dealings with C and don't really want to deal with them). The new company wants a no compete clause stating for up to a year he can't call on any of his customers he is bringing to them or go work for a rival in the same capacity. Is there any way or addendum that excludes what you bring to the company or is this entirely their way or the highway? In these tough times it's hard to turn down a job but hardly seems just.