What can I do to take care of my felony warrant? 12 Answers as of May 17, 2011

I have an active felony warrant because I did not finish PC1000 classes. I was charged in 2007 and have not been in trouble since. I need to take care of the warrant. Should I turn myself into the courts or go to my PO? I'm starting school this year and this hanging over my head is allot of unneeded stress.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Go to whatever court issued the warrant and asked to be reinstated in the program.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
If you can afford it, I would retain private counsel to have your matter placed back on the Courts calendar to have the warrant recalled. While I cannot predict the Courts reaction, I can say with some certainty that the Courts reaction will be better if you arrive with your attorney. One of the Courts concerns is that you will once again fail to complete as assigned, and fail to appear for future court dates. The Court is less likely to have those same concerns if you appear with private counsel. It is the same reason Bail Bondsmen are willing to give you a discount if you come to them after hiring private counsel. Defendants with private counsel typically show up.
The only way to have a warrant recalled is to go before a judge. It helps if you have an attorney with you when you do this. If all goes well, you will simply be reinstated. It's obviously best if you have some explanation as to why you've been absent for so long. Feel free to call my office if you'd like to discuss the matter further.
For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the warrant and new Failure to Appear charges, and renegotiate any outstanding charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. If this is a felony, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. If this is a misdemeanor, the attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. Any fines could be paid by mail. Jail time, if any, would create an obvious problem requiring the defendants presence. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
Schedule an appearance. If you had an attorney before, contact him/her. It might improver the situation. You can expect the court to terminate the diversion program and put you into a different program, unless you have a really good reason for not finishing and taking 4 years to get back in the system. (That's why you might want to talk to the attorney.)
    Go to the court or hire an attorney to go for or with you.
    You would be best hiring an attorney, having him or her calendar it and appearing with you in court and then attempt to have the judge withdraw the warrant without putting you in jail. Any other method will probably result in your being incarcerated if only for several days.
    California Criminal Defense Center
    California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
    You should contact an lawyer that is familiar with PC1000 and Prop 36. Ideally, you should get your warrant recalled and try to get reinstated in PC1000. Failing that, a lawyer should evaluate your case for enrollment in Prop 36. Please contact our office if you require assistance.
    If you go to court by yourself you could be taken into custody right away. You should have an attorney go to court for you (without you) to recall the warrant, and get an extension on the PC 1000 or convert it to Prop 36. If you aren't there, you won't be taken in, at least not right then and there.
    If there is a warrant for your arrest, it is something that needs to be handled through the court. If you have a good relationship with your PO, perhaps he or she can write a good report for you to help soften the blow from the Judge. Either way, I would advise consulting with an attorney in more detail about your situation, and potentially hiring an attorney to appear with you to recall the warrant and try to get you reinstated in the classes.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    There may be options to protect you, but turning yourself in to the court or your PO almost does nothing but guarantee being taken into custody. Instead, find a good local criminal defense attorney that appears often in the court where your case is.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    There is a good chance you may go to jail on a 4 year old felony warrant. You need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney before you do anything. More detail about your case is needed to properly advise you as to what the best course of action may be. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is the best chance you have of obtaining the best possible result. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.