What can I do to stop the father's brother from removing property? 3 Answers as of June 28, 2012

i am an only child and my father passed away. he left no will. His brother has been removing property and vehicles from his home. what can i do to stop this?

Law Office of Robert J. Slotkin | Robert J. Slotkin
Go in there and take pictures. When the estate is opened, have the judge sign an order compelling your uncle to account for what he took. Meanwhile, go in there and secure any remaining items of value and get the lock changed on the house. You will have to open a probate estate to deal with the house and its contents and any accounts that were titled in your father's name. You should contact a lawyer for that.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
In Florida, if your father had no will, then the beneficiaries would be his spouse (if he had one) and/or the children. Your father's brother has no right to remove any property. You can call the police, but they may or may not be able to get involved (they may say it's a civil matter). You may need to open an estate and have someone be appointed personal representative in order to stop him.
The Law Offices of Aubrey Harry Ducker Jr. PLC | Aubrey Harry Ducker, Jr.
You should call the police.