What can I do to stay with my wife in the US? 5 Answers as of July 12, 2013

My wife is now in US. She got green card February 2011. Now I want to know when she can apply for me to stay with her. Or is there any other process that I can stay with her early? Please help me out.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Ask her to file form I-130 for him. She should be able to see what kind of documents she will need to file along with it on the form itself. When that form is approved, then USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center and they will hold it until the visa priority date (date USCIS received it) comes up and processing will begin. This process will take years depending on which country you are from. In that time, she or you can check online to see where you are on the waiting list. Your category will be F2A. No one knows how long this will take. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2011
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
How did you enter the US?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/12/2013
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Your options to come and be with your wife depend on your background and whether you qualify for a nonimmigrant visa of any type. Your wife can file an I-130 for you as the spouse of a Permanent Resident but this just gives you a place in line. It is possible this category will advance rapidly again as it did last fall; but I would suggest first assessing other options as certain nonimmigrant options are incompatible with seeking permanent residency. If nothing is suitable then definitely get in line. We would be happy to assess your case, advise more specifics on the procedures, timing and fees if you want to set up a consultation (in person or by phone) with me as indicated below. We do charge for consultation but the consultation fee is then credited 100% toward the fees for your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
She can apply now, but depending on where you are from, it could take several years for your visa to be approved.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/6/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
You did not say how she got her green card. There might be an opportunity to have derivative status. For example, if she got her card through an American citizen brother. But there is no such derivative status if she got her green card from her US American daughter, for example. If you do not have any derivative option, she will have to file for you, and this might take 5-6 years depending on visa availability and your country of birth. I would need more facts for a better answer. However, I hope this helps and puts you on the right track.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: