What can I do to a roommate who cannot pay the rent and brought an additional person? 3 Answers as of October 15, 2013

Person was great about paying rent until losing their job and I am not in a position to cover their $1,400. I only can for one month and that's with the help from a family. The roommate moved another person in and has yet to add the person to updated rental after written and verbal request. Taking their word it would be handled and it still has not happened. I’m frustrated because I feel the other adult person living with the roommate for 2 months now should help and being they've not, I am now responsible for my roommate and his add. Again, I have given verbal reminders and written. Finally I’m frustrated, as the request is going ignored. I want to be reasonable, but I don't want to continue to address situations imposed. I've had to ask about rent 5 days after the due date In addition, I feel my roommate/tenant/friend should come to me, not me have to ask. And I don’t feel an extra person should be added, without giving help. End result, an additional person is being imposed on responsibilities my roommate/friend/tenant is already having problem with keeping. My last course of action was via email explaining my concern regarding the "added" person not being on agreement, as request since August and if the agreement was updated the "add" would need to leave by X number of days. I also ask that late rent is brought to my attention in 1 day versus me needing to ask. I want to be fair, reasonable, and not kick the roomy while on bad luck without being imposed on.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
If you and the roommate are on the lease not much you can do. You're both liable for the full rent.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
Have you considered changing the locks with the cooperation of the landlord? You incur the expense for the locks, but you can withhold keys until you are comfortable with the setup. This is a gray area response for a somewhat complicated situation.
William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
Tell them what you wrote: you want to be reasonable and empathetic with the situation but cannot continue with status quo. The additional person must be added to the lease, and rent must be timely.