What can I do to protect my son from being afraid? 6 Answers as of May 21, 2012

I have been physically separated from my husband for almost 3 years. He only calls my son once a month has never financially supported him and never visits him, now out of the blue he wants to come and pick him up and take him for the weekend. what can i do to protect my son from being afraid and around god knows who

Dorothy Spinelli, PC | Dorothy Spinelli
Try to have some meetings with your husband, before sending you son for the entire weekend. At the initial meeting you need to be there, ie McDonalds. Then work up to up son going for the weekend. If your son is not doing well with this, he may need a therapist for counseling.
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
If there is no court order in place, and you don't want to let the father take him, refuse his request. If he persists, call the police. Be prepared to have to go to court later to sort this out.
Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
You need to file suit for divorce, and ask the court to set child support payments, and to determine your husband's visitation rights.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
I cannot understand why you have not pursued child support. Ask him for his address and petition for child support.
The Cherry Law Firm, PC
The Cherry Law Firm, PC | Diane Cherry
I recommend that you get divorced and ask the court to set child support and order supervised or limited visitation based upon the father's minimal contact with your son.