What can I do to prevent him from getting a modification of custody and visitation order? 8 Answers as of November 05, 2013

In the last 5 years, my ex-husband has given many reasons to question his responsibility and good judgment when it comes to having our children in his care. He has abused drugs, alcohol and lives an unstable life, not to mention allowing the children to fall to the bottom of his list of top priorities. We are now in court over the visitation and custody issue.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You don't say what he is asking for in the modification. You can respond with your proposal for the modification and provide the reasons why.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/5/2013
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
You need to tell the court the reasons you have given here.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/5/2013
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
Retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you in the case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2013
Oscar E. Toscano | Oscar E. Toscano
The court has to look for the best interest of the children. Get a good lawyer to point them out.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You can prove to the judge that the children will be in danger because of your ex's drug and alcohol abuse and unstable life.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 11/5/2013
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    What will happen in your situation depends on the law of the State you live in. Before you do anything, talk to a divorce lawyer. And do that soon.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Get an attorney and make your case.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    Your children have a right to have a safe relationship with the other parent. If your ex has harmed or could harm the children, then it may be wise to ask the court for supervised visitation, alcohol abuse screening and parenting classes as a precondition to visitation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: