What can I do to prevent harassment on Facebook? 5 Answers as of March 07, 2011

If someone is harassing me over Facebook and is threatening to blackmail me is there any law against that? Would I be able to get an affidavit for him to sign in order to give me full custody of the items he wants to blackmail me with?

You should print everything the person is posting. Then, call the police and file a report.Extortion is illegal. You could also let Facebook know, since the behavior is technically not allowed. Facebook has, however, the worst customer service of any business I haveever been involved with. Clearly, their focus is only about making money, violating the public's rights and invading people's privacy. Affidavits are fine, but how would you know he had not made copies of things, or taken photos of them, etc. That would not stop the person from talking about the items either, would it? You can file a Civil Harassment Order, which is a good idea. I saw one granted the other day for a guy harassing woman with Facebook.
If it is truly "blackmail", attempting to gain something under threat of exposure of information or other harm, the crime is called extortion and is punishable as a felony. If you choose to go to the police that is your decision. Otherwise, dealing with an extortionist is a very poor idea as it will only lead to more threats of exposure. Ignoring the threats is your only other alternative.
Tomas M. Flores, Esq.
Tomas M. Flores, Esq. | Tomas M. Flores
You can petition the court for a restraining order. I would recommend using an attorney who can explain internet issues to judges who don't always have a Facebook account - such as myself :) TRO petitions can range from $3,000 to $750 depending on the complexity of your case and if you want the attorney to do the trial for you.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
Block your facebook account!
There is nothing you can do to prevent harassment. At least nothing effective. Thats the beauty of the internet, anybody can say anything they want, and do so anonymously. If you can work out some deal with someone you actually know in person, sure, go for it. However, if an actual crime of blackmail/extortion is reported to law enforcement, and if they can ID the actual person doing so within their geographic jurisdiction, they could seek to file criminal charges. You can try it.