What can I do to prevent the father who abandoned us from being in my daughter's life since he is unstable? 10 Answers as of March 21, 2013

When I was three months pregnant with my daughter, the father abandoned me in the middle of nowhere in Bakersfield. I haven't seen him ever since.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
You should seek a court order providing you with sole legal and physical custody. The father's parenting time could be reserved until he is located and requests parenting time. The order may also require him to pay child support.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/21/2013
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
File for sole custody.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/21/2013
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You can petition to terminate his parental rights. Every state has different rules, so consult a skilled family lawyer in the area where you live.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 3/21/2013
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
You can wait to see if he ever reappears, or if he has, you can file for a custody order and ask the Court to deny him any custody or visitation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2013
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
You need do nothing. If you were not married to him, he has no enforceable parenting time or custody rights. If he seeks to establish them, you may argue your case to the court as part of the proceedings.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 3/21/2013
    John H. Sibbison III, Professional Law Corporation | John Sibbison
    You need a court order.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
    You need a face-to-face consultation with an experienced family law attorney. You have a complex legal matter ? especially because it sounds like he is mentally unstable. Also, it appears that the child is very small and is unable to protect himself/herself. Please talk to an attorney in person and get legal advice as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    You need to file for sole legal and sole physical custody.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    File a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights. If he objects remind him that once the court terminates his rights, has no future child support obligation.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You can go to court and get a custody order giving you full legal and physical custody. However, in order to do it properly, you will need to have the father served and made part of the action. You will also probably have to have a DNA test. If you want, you can get child support as well.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 3/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: