What can I do to legally collect on a promissory note regarding property? 1 Answers as of June 15, 2011

In 2001 I purchased a parcel of land with my then fiance with funds that we borrowed from my dad the land was put into her name alone as I guess a sign of good faith. I had her sign a promissory note saying that she would pay back my dad with interest in a reasonable amount of time. We haven’t paid him anything back on it now we are split apart and she is trying to sell the land. How can I stop this and how can I get the land back? What options and prshe will pay mydaocedures must I do she is looking to dump it quick so she can get money that she has paid in taxes on it and if there is extra.

Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
Base upon your facts, the note is unsecured. If the money is still owed your dad should seek out legal counsel to file a PJR (attachment) to put a lien on the property so that should she sell there would need to be a payoff. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Disclaimer: This answer is not meant, nor should it be construed to be legal advice, Further, it is not intended to, nor does it create a lawyer/client relationship with any firm or individual to whom this answer is communicated.