What can I do to legally collect on a promissory note regarding property? 1 Answers as of June 15, 2011

In 2001 I purchased a parcel of land with my then fiance with funds that we borrowed from my dad the land was put into her name alone as I guess a sign of good faith. I had her sign a promissory note saying that she would pay back my dad with interest in a reasonable amount of time. We haven’t paid him anything back on it now we are split apart and she is trying to sell the land. How can I stop this and how can I get the land back? What options and prshe will pay mydaocedures must I do she is looking to dump it quick so she can get money that she has paid in taxes on it and if there is extra.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
Base upon your facts, the note is unsecured. If the money is still owed your dad should seek out legal counsel to file a PJR (attachment) to put a lien on the property so that should she sell there would need to be a payoff. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Disclaimer: This answer is not meant, nor should it be construed to be legal advice, Further, it is not intended to, nor does it create a lawyer/client relationship with any firm or individual to whom this answer is communicated.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: