What can I do to help my friend who was accused of a DUI? 13 Answers as of January 10, 2011

My friend was placed in handcuffs after trying 3 times for the breathing test when pulled over for speeding. I witnessed the whole thing and saw it taken only 3 times. The police officer said he tried 5 times which was untrue and she only had like 3 to drink. What can I do to help her?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Your testimony could be very helpful especially if the case proceeds to Jury Trial. We handle many DUI cases. Call our office for more info or a rate quote.
The District Attorney is fond of asking at trial why a witness did not call the police with information, but if you do, you only alert the police that there will be a witness to the field officer lying.What is the point? You will say at trial, of course, that the officer refused to speak with you at the scene, and you told your friend's attorney at the earliest opportunity that the officer lied. There is more and more of that going on these days. It is sickening the way the police, and the District Attorney's Office, by extension, have institutionalized lying. You will have to wait and see what your friend's blood alcohol level is. You might consider helping her hire a private attorney (probably not one from the letters she gets in the mail right after the arrest). Unfortunately, she probably already agreed to take the Field Sobriety tests. Any driver must take a chemical test (breath or blood, per California Implied Consent law), but no one ever should submit to the physical tests in the field. You can get a free consultation from most attorneys.
He will hire or be appointed an attorney I presume so when that occurs go with her to his or her office and offer what you have seen as a witness. The attorney can evaluate whether your observations will assist his defense.
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
There should be no problem resolving your matter. Give us a call.
Hire her an attorney, you are not allowed to do anything else to represent her. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. You might be called as a witness in the case.
    Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
    Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
    The only thing you can do is possibly be a witness in the case. Make sure you write down all of your recollections from the event so you don't forget any details you currently remember.
    Tomas M. Flores, Esq.
    Tomas M. Flores, Esq. | Tomas M. Flores
    Unless you have a California bar card, the only thing you can do to help is hire a competent DUI defense attorney.

Many attorneys will do a free initial consult and take monthly payments.
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
    Have her contact a DUI attorney.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office.
    Be willing to be a witness in the case. Your testimony may help but will not be dispositive.
    Talk to her lawyer and let him know what you can testify to but do it soon as he/she may be able to work things out with the DA if he can tell him what your testimony would be at trial
    You can help her by finding a DUI specialist attorney for her. You could potentially be a favorable witness for her. Without an attorney to help her, however, there really isn't much choice other than pleading guilty.