What can I do to help my fiance with immigration and deportation? 5 Answers as of July 18, 2011

My fiance went back to Mexico to get his visa so we wouldn't have to worry about him getting deported. He had someone helping with paperwork but they hadn't done anything after 7 months so he tried crossing illegally. Got 10 yrs deportation... tried again with papers but the papers that this guy that we were dealing with gave us took our money and gave us fraudulent papers so when he tried to cross he got another 10 years.. he now has 20 yrs deportation and we have a 5 yr old together that needs his father around as well as I need him around to help support us... is there anything that I can do to get him back over here?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
First step is to have competent counsel assess your complete situation and review the order he has gotten. There are situation where ineffective assistance of counsel may give you another chance - I don't' know if this is one or not.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Forgive me but I am so incredibly mad at the both of you right now for engaging in such an important process for your family with some guy who may not even be a lawyer. If you have legal matters, it is only fitting that you find a lawyer to handle them for you. These guys that you just mentioned usually end up costing more than what you had in mind when you started the process. It is because of their lack of knowledge and honesty in the profession, of which they are not even members. But I digress. What you need to do now is to save some money quickly and find an attorney who can maybe help re-open the case for you since it is obvious that your fianc was taken advantage of by unscrupulous brokers out there. Now, if your fianc just decided to come back to the US illegally because his fianc visa was taking too long (I am assuming you filed a fianc visa for him), then there is nothing anyone can do for him. If he was advise by others to do this and had no knowledge of the wrongness of it, then there might be a chance. Find an attorney that you can trust quickly and begin the process anew. I am not sure that he will be able to get the fianc visa, see if your attorney will agree that marrying him abroad will be beneficial to the process. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
He has triggered the permanent bar. He must stay outside US for at least 10 years and apply for a waiver at that time.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/16/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
You won't be able to get him the K-1, but if you are married you have a chance for the K-3 or better yet, file for the immigrant visa directly. You will need a waiver for the immigration violations and you will need to show an extreme and unusual hardship to you or your USC child. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney. One that has worked on waivers.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/16/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If he was actually removed from the US (which is a legal term) and then was caught trying to reenter, that actually triggers the permanent bar and he can never get a green card. You need to seek an appointment with a competent immigration attorney. Bring any paperwork that your husband signed or was given by DHS and have the attorney analyze what exactly happened: catch and release, or actual removal. This will determine if you are able to sponsor him for a green card.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: