What can I do to get a work permit after my wife withdrew her petition? 5 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I've been married to my wife for 5 yrs now but were separated for a year. I only have a work permit through her petition and she withdrew her petition last feb. And INS sent me letter saying that my work permit is been canceled. My question is there any thing else I can do for me to work legally? My mom also petition me and it is now current would this help me obtain at least a work permit?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You mentioned that your mother's petition for you just became current; go with that. Process your adjustment of status and as soon as you apply, you should get a work permit within 3 months, give or take. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The facts are too general to provide a useful answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/8/2013
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law | Kevin Bluitt
If your mother filed an I-130 petition and the priority date is current than you could adjust your status based on your mother's I-30 petition (this of course is assuming you were admitted or paroled into the USA) When you file the I-485 petition to adjust status you also file an I-765 work authorization....however...I am concerned about why your wife withdrew the petition....USCIS will also inquire into this issue I assure you...I would contact an attorney before filing...good luck.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/13/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Work permit is issued in your case when you filed your I-485, adjustment of Status. When your wife withdrew her petition(I-130), USCIS will deny your I-485 and your work authorization. You can get a new work authorization if you can file a new application to adjust status based on your mother's I-130.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
It may. You should speak with an immigration attorney about adjusting status ASAP. The longer you wait the more unlawful presence you will accrue.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: