What can I do to get probation and community service instead so I can pay back what I stole? 6 Answers as of March 04, 2014

I stole $2000 from my mother’s safe that turnout to be a client’s deposit. Is there a way that I can get probation and community service so that I can pay them back instead of being a burden on the state? I am 20 and this is my first offense ever.

Randy Ligh | Randy Ligh
I would advise that you hire an attorney to speak to the prosecuting authority about the possibility of some sort of agreement that if you paid the money back, then you would receive probation or better.
Theft of less than $950.00 is petty theft. The first three times a person is convicted of petty theft it is a misdemeanor. Misdemeanors are punished by up to one year in the county jail and/or up to a $1,000.00 fine. Felonies are punished by sixteen months, two years, or three years in state prison. The normal punishment for first time petty theft is three years summary probation, a fine, community service, theft classes, and restitution to the victim.
You will be required to repay what you stole, plus community service, probation and a fine. Because of the amount, you could be charged with a felony and could see jail time.
If it is your first offense there is a much greater chance you will receive probation, especially if the victim is not opposed to it. Also, it helps if you have a job because the argument is you can't pay back restitution while in jail. Make sure you are represented by an experienced lawyer.
Felony theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your college/career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.