What can I do to get my part of the QDRO? 1 Answers as of December 19, 2016

I just got a divorce. In the settlement, the judge equally divided the QDRO. I have not received my part and my attorney is telling me that she does not know how to get the QDRO for me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Originally, my answer was based upon whether the ex-spouse is retired now or not. Although you might have access to funds quicker if the ex is retired, whether you are entitled to the whole sum at the outset may be more a question of tax law or other reasons not part of your personal situation. The real issue for attorneys is to prepare the paperwork that will essentially divide the retirement account as per the judge's decision, i.e. the QDRO. Your attorney could contact the Administrator of the account to get access to a form the Administrator accepts. Either way, the retirement account won't be divided until a QRDO is prepared, signed by the judge, and filed with the court clerk. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 12/19/2016
Click to View More Answers: