What can I do to get my father in law to pay for my sons injury? 39 Answers as of July 08, 2013

A horse fell on my son while in my father in laws care and he will not help with the med bills. I have no money to help my son. What should I do?

Attorneys Gonzales & Gonzales
Attorneys Gonzales & Gonzales | Marissa Gonzales
If your father in law has homeowners insurance, you may have a possible claim.
Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC
Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC | Richard Copeland
The first question is, "What did your father-in-law do wrong?" The occurrence of an accident while an adult is watching a youngster doesn't prove negligence. Negligence requires proof that the person failed to do what a reasonable person would have done under similar circumstances. If you believe the father-in-law did something wrong that caused the injury, make a claim against any insurance the father-in-law has that could cover your son's accident. If you don't have facts showing that the father-in-law did something wrong, see if the property where the accident occurred has medical payments coverage. This is a type of no-fault insurance to take care of the medical bills someone incurs because of an injury that occurred on someone's property.
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
If he has homeowners insurance for the property where this occurred, it will likely have a med-pay provision (usually around $5000, sometimes higher), and the insurance company will pay those medical bills regardless of fault or liability. So explain this to your father-in-law and get him to turn it in to his carrier.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Consult with and/or retain a plaintiff's accident attorney to represent your son and you regarding your son's injuries and medical expenses. If your father-in-law was negligent while your son was mounting,riding and dismounting the horse, he may be held liable for some, if not all, of your son's medical expenses.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You may be able to sue him for lack of proper supervision. You should consult with an attorney.
    The Torkzadeh Law Firm
    The Torkzadeh Law Firm | Reza Torkzadeh
    There are many ways to have your son compensated for his injuries, including the ability to get him the medical care and treatment he needs for his injuries. I suggest you immediately speak with an attorney who has handling these types of cases.
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    Your father-in-law probably as no-fault medical coverage under his homeowners' policy. I suggest finding out about his insurance coverage and seeing if it will pay for the medical bills.
    If your Father-in-law was negligent then you could make a claim against him. Also, his homeowner's policy might pay some bills. Otherwise, you are out of luck.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    The easy answer is that you should talk to a personal injury lawyer in your area. Most will discuss the case for free, and if they take the case they will recover only if you win (the fee will be a percentage of any recovery). Good luck.
    Oliver Law Office
    Oliver Law Office | Jami Oliver
    Unfortunately, the only way to force a person to pay for medical expenses arising out of a negligent act (or negligent supervision) is to file a lawsuit. While I do not know the circumstances of the horse falling on your son, if your father-in-law was negligent, then you may file a lawsuit.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    You can hire an attorney and sue him if need be
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    A caregiver must use reasonable care while caring for a minor to keep him from being injured. If your father-in-law was negligent in watching your son and he was injured due to that negligence, you may sue him and his homeowner's insurance may be liable to pay for your son's injuries. There are exceptions in homeowner's policies, however, and each case is different. You need to consult an attorney about the particular facts of your case.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    With all the childrens health coverage available for children in Montana, there is no reason you haven't figured out how to get your child covered. That would have paid the bills. How can you prove Grandpa was negligent. Horses are dangerous. You knew your son would be around horses so don't blame Grandpa without knowing the facts. How does a horse fall down on anyone anyway?
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You could sue your father in law for negligence in supervising your child. His homeowner's insurance may provide coverage.
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
    You need to tell how the injury occurred in detail before anyone can give an opinion about what to do.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    If you have no other options, you will have to sue him, or at least get an attorney and threaten to do so. You will have to prove that your father-in-law was somehow negligent, and the burden will be on you to do so. Please respond to this email and let me know exactly what happened and what it is that you believe your father and law did wrong.
    Contact attorneys and see if any would like to take the case. The father is only legally responsible to help with bills if he was negligent. You do not describe how the accident happened, so I cannt say whether he was negligent. If he was negligent, his homeowner's insurance would probably cover the damages if he has homeowner's insurance.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    There is no law that says he has to pay anything for the injuries. If he was negligent as describe by the law, you can bring a lawsuit against him.
    Make a claim against his homeowners insurance policy.
    A lot more information is required: we would need to know how and why the horse fell on your son, and what your father-in-law did to cause that to happen. If your father-in-law was acting in the course of a business when this happened, the business insurer might cover the loss. If he has a house, homeowner's insurance might apply.
    Law Office of Joseph Lamy
    Law Office of Joseph Lamy | Joseph Lamy
    I would ask you where this incident occurred? Is there an active insurance policy available? If this happened at someone's residence or at a licensed Horse Farm then I would imagine that there is an insurance policy you can try to obtain payment from. As for your father-in-law, if he was negligent, you can sue him directly for damages but considering the family relationship I can understand your hesitation to take that step.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    You can file a claim against his homeowners insurance or other insurance for the horses. Depending on policy exclusions, he may be covered for the incident. Otherwise you can sue him for the damages.
    A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C.
    A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C. | Dan Woska
    You may bring an action on behalf of your son as his guardian or next friend, against your father in law, sounding in negligence and seek to first make a demand on him for payment of the damages associated with the injury. If he does not respond, normally you hire an attorney, incur the expense of bringing a lawsuit and perhaps he has a homeowner's policy of insurance that may pay the claim. If the claim is less than the maximum amount you can sue for in small claims actions, you could sue in small claims court, represent your son there without an attorney and seek to obtain a judgment.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You should contact your father in law's homeowner's insurance company to submit the claim directly.
    Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
    Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
    Sue your father in law. He likely has homeowners insurance or farm insurance that would be liable.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    You don't give enough facts to answer. How old is your son? Generally, just because a child is in someone's care, doesn't mean they are responsible if they get hurt. Was your son riding the horse? There could be an assumption of the risk defense. this would depend on his age and what the facts are. Do you really want to sue your father-in-law? Are you still married to his child? Is there medical insurance? Is there a third party to go after such as a riding stable, etc.
    Judnich Law Office
    Judnich Law Office | Martin W. Judnich
    If you do not have medical insurance for your son, you should look at starting a claim against the homeowner's insurance policy of your father in law. There still may be a need to prove negligence on the part of the father in law though.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC | J. Todd Tenge
    It may be covered under his homeowner's insurance, or possibly, a farm and ranch insurance policy. You need to have your father in law disclose what types of insurance coverage he has. There may be a part of such insurance which would pay medical expenses - regardless of whether it was his fault or not. This is called a no fault, medical payments benefit, that many homeowners insurance policies have, as well as some farm and ranch.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    You will have to prove he was negligent in some way.
    Harris Personal Injury Lawyer
    Harris Personal Injury Lawyer | Philip C. Alexander
    A lawyer would need to know a lot more before giving you any legal advice. Does your father in-law have a business associated with these horses? How did the horse fall? What were your son and father in-law doing when the horse fell, etc.?
    Berg & McLaughlin, Chtd.
    Berg & McLaughlin, Chtd. | Stephen Snedden
    This is posibly a case of negligent supervision. You need an attorney to review the facts of the case and analyze the claims.
    Try asking him if his homeowner's insurance will cover it.
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky
    The Law Offices of Mark Kotlarsky | Mark Kotlarsky
    File a claim with his home insurance company.
    If he was somehow negligent, his homeowners insurance should cover a claim. You will need an attorney to handle this appropriately.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    In this Virginia personal injury situation, I think you need to consult an experienced injury attorney as soon as possible. The lawyer can help you determine if there is any negligence theory that will permit a recovery. When you go to see the attorney, you should take all documentation with you including pictures, diagrams and insurance policies. Good Luck.
    Olson Althauser Samuelson & Rayan, LLP
    Olson Althauser Samuelson & Rayan, LLP | Todd S. Rayan
    If it was on his property you may have an avenue for recovery through his homeowner's insurance, otherwise, if in fact your father in law was negligent, you may have recourse directly against him.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney