What can I do to get insurance to pay for medical expenses? 2 Answers as of April 29, 2011

My wife's lawyer has been trying to place a lien on the insurance company of the person who caused and injured her in an auto accident. The insurance company has refused to pay her medical expenses to date. Her condition has worsened in the last 2 months. I have scheduled an appointment with a specialist who requires a fee for his service, but additional treatment will require insurance. What course of action should I pursue? I have left messages with her lawyer but have not received any response.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
Unfortunately this is the way it works. All the money comes at the time of the settlement. In the meantime you must use any medical insurance coverage you have available and if there isn't any then you will sign a letter of protection to cover the doctor's fees. Your attorney sounds like he or she is doing what they can to protect your interests.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 4/29/2011
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
It is difficult to answer the question without knowing some additional facts about the accident itself and whether or not your wife has her own car or individual medical insurance. I suspect that much of your angst is being caused by the fact that you do not feel the attorney is being responsive to your inquiries. Bear in mind that most lawyers are extremely busy people and sometimes get behind on returning calls. That said, your wife is entitled to know what is happening with her file. I would suggest that your wife contact her lawyer's office (I'm assuming that she is the one who is the firm's client) and advise them that she would like an appointment (at my firm we will do this by telephone or in person) to discuss the progress of her case and what she should expect to happen next. If the lawyer is still unresponsive you might consider moving the file to another firm. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 4/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: