What can I do to fight a petty theft charge? How? 8 Answers as of May 06, 2015

I was just charged with PC 488. They are accusing me of taking about 200 dollars worth of stuff from the Target. This is not true. Am I really looking at jail time like they said?

Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
Unless you have prior criminal convictions, you should not receive jail time. Hire an attorney if you are able.
They who? The prosecutor, the judge?
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Yes, they can charge you with petty theft for stealing under $500 worth of items. The maximum penalty in Missouri is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000. I suggest you hire an attorney to represent you if you want to avoid having a conviction for stealing on your criminal record.
You are not looking at jail time. You will be charged with a gross misdemeanor which has a sentencing range of 364 in jail and $5,000 fine. As a first offense, you will have to take a consumer awareness class, pay a fine, do community service, have no further law violations, stay away from the store and be on probation for one year.
Petty theft is punishable by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or both. You should hire an attorney to defend you.
    I would suggest that you engage an attorney as quickly as possible. Depending upon the jurisdiction it is possible that there might be some jail time potential depending on what you are charged with.
    Petty theft is also known as "shoplift". It is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine. You have provide me with absolutely no facts to better answer your question.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    You could be facing jail time but this is unlikely unless you have a previous conviction for similar conduct.