What can I do to correct unfiled taxes? How? 7 Answers as of September 01, 2015

I worked as contract labor from 2002-2006 and made approx $8,000-12,000 per year. I never filed a tax return for these years. I now have a decent job and am married. What is the best solution to this problem? Thank you.

Law Offices of Robert Beatson II | Robert Beatson II
The facts need to be carefully reviewed and analyzed. An experienced tax attorney/accountant should be able to handle this.
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law | James Oberholtzer
Definitely file the returns. The statute of limitations does not start to run until you file. The personal exemption amount was about $9,000 for these years so the tax will be little or none. Until you file, the IRS can come and give you trouble.
Campbell Law Offices, LLC
Campbell Law Offices, LLC | Linda S. Campbell
The first thing you need to do is sit down with a good tax attorney and develop a plan of action to resolve your issues. They can find out if the IRS ever filed a substitute for return for any of the tax years. Since it has been so long the attorney will also be able to help you find out if the IRS still has the information in their records that you will need in order to file. They can also go over collection alternatives that will be available to you once you have completed your returns. I strongly recommend that you take advantage of the free consultation most of us offer prior to proceeding. I have seen taxpayers create more problems for themselves by trying to start the process on their own first.
Robert E. Giffin | Robert E. Giffin CPA
You might not owe any income tax, but could owe self employment tax which could affect your soc. sec. when you retire. So have someone file the returns.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
File the returns.
    My first question is whether the IRS and/or the state tax department is making collection efforts. If they aren't, my advice would to be "let sleeping dogs lay" and not take any action. It's unlikely that they will find records to make an assessment at this late date. If they've already made an assessment, then you need to speak with a tax attorney to determine whether you need to file the returns or make a payment arrangement?
    The best solution is to see a tax attorney or an accountant, examine all of the details and realize that there is no statute of limitations or length of time which negates the necessity for you to file your returns. If you are my client I would tend to have them all prepared then go to the IRS and seek an offer in compromise in order to clear the obligation and your slate.