What can I do to correct unfiled taxes? 3 Answers as of February 08, 2011

I worked as contract labor from 1992-1996 and made approx $8,000-12,000 per year. I never filed a tax return for these years. I now have a decent job and am married. What is the best solution to this problem? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
The obvious and most simple answer is to prepare and file these returns as soon as possible. However, be aware that you will owe taxes, interest and penalties. The interest and penalties will be based on the actual tax liabilities for each year, the amount of time the taxes are outstanding and the various interest rates during the periods in question. The IRS will surely bill you for the I&Ps.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/8/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
First step is to file your returns. This will tell you how much you oweor if the gov. owes you. If you have a liability you should consult a tax attorney on how to best handle that liability. We can help with filing your returns and managing the liability if you would like.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/7/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You can file returns for those years but you would not have to pay taxes based on your income. I would have to go back and look at the tables to make sure. Even so I would talk to an accountant about how to do this in terms of forms.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: