What can I do to adopt my non-biological son>? Posted on June 10, 2011

My daughters brother is in foster care, and is about to be adopted out. As far as he knows, I am his father, and I love him like my own. His bio-dad is unknown. When he went into foster care, my DHS caseworker told me that I would be eligible to adopt him if it ever came to that if I had custody of his sister, my bio-daughter. I have been allowed weekend visits with him for quite a few months. I have repeatedly asked my caseworker about adopting him over the 2 years that he's been in foster care. I have always been assured that it wouldn't be a problem because of our genuine, father-son bond, and because I have custody of his sister. Now that his case plan has changed to adoption, DHS informs me that I can't adopt him because of my extensive criminal history, although they deemed me fit to get my daughter back in January. DHS is now taking my overnight visits a way. I used to get him on Friday, and would keep him until Sunday evening. It’s been that way for months now. Now DHS wants to only give me a few hours a week visitation, and are taking away the only stability that my boy has had in his life for the past 2 years. Isn’t DHS supposed to be seeking a solution that is in the best interest of the child? How is taking his father away helping him? I have been clean and sober for 2 years in May, I changed my life completely, and I got my daughter back. What can I do to be able to adopt my son? Do I have any rights?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: