What can I do to address a warrant regarding a felony probation violation in Georgia? 3 Answers as of January 20, 2011

I am a full time college student, and have been on felony probation in Georgia for over a year now. Shortly after my conviction my roommate was getting into trouble and a Narcotic Taskforce came to our house looking for him, but he wasn't there, so they started asking me all of these questions and asked me to surrender my urine so I did. I told them I would probably fail for opiates, they sealed the urine and sent it off to a lab. Now a year later I find out there is a warrant for me arrest over this drug test. What is most likely going to happen to me? I got permission to move to Texas shortly after these events took place. I've been here for a year now successfully completed a dozen drug tests, alcohol/drug classes, work full time, and attend college full time. Would this benefit my case at all? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It would appear that you have tried to turn your life around since then and that you have some good evidence to present in mitigation. I would urge you to retain an experienced Georgia criminal defense attorney as you make plans to come back and address this situation. Good luck!
Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
To address this I strongly suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney in the county wherein you were sentenced to probation. There may be attacks to make on that urine test. You need an attorney to guide you through this.
I suspect that what will happen to you will be a function of who you choose to represent you. While on felony probation, you: (1) failed a drug test for opiates; and (2) lived with a person of harmful or disreputable character. Conversely, you have also tested negative for drugs multiple times, and seem to be on the right track. So, that should work in your favor. The worse thing I pulled from what you wrote is that most of the witnesses that would testify that you are doing well are located in Texas, while your violation of probation hearing will be in GA. Letters from witnesses typically carry little weight, unless the attorney that you retain has some status and reputation with the judge.Hopefully that helps. Good luck.