What can I do of a person I sheltered destroyed my house because of a meth lab? 1 Answers as of February 06, 2012

Thanksgiving, a "friend" was welcomed into my home. She was homeless, jobless and penniless. I housed and fed her without asking nor expecting nothing in return. Recently my home was destroyed by her and her boyfriend due to a meth lab they were maintaining while I was at work. The man is burned and hospitalized, she haven't seen nor heard from. So far no charges pressed. I lost my home of 16 years and my dog. Local authorities say I can do nothing because it was an accident. Is this right?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G Humphrey
First off, i would be worried that the authorities would mistakenly believe i was involved in the meth lab operation. Losing your house is unfortunate. if they are not charged criminally, you cant ask a criminal court for restitution. You could sue them, but they have to have money to pay you when you win your suit. Lastly, check with the home owner's insurance to see if they will repair your home. You learned a painful life lesson. When you invite people into your home, you have to be very careful. other than the things mentioned above, i dont see any other avenue of relief.
Answer Applies to: Wyoming
Replied: 2/6/2012
Click to View More Answers: