What can I do of my chiropractor injured my back more than it already was? How? 11 Answers as of July 28, 2015

I was having stiffness in my lower back so I went to see a chiropractor on Sat. The first man I saw was great left with no pain at all I was not even stiff. Went back on Tuesday and saw him and everything was great left no pain at all .Had another appointment on Thurs. My first doctor was not in he was stuck at his other office, so another doctor asked me if I wanted him to adjust me I said that would be fine. I left out of there in so much pain I could not drive all the way to my regular doctor without having to stop and get out of the car. He had to give me a shot and all kinds of medications just so I can get through the pain. I have to go back today to my family doctor to get more Xrays done to see what is going on I have been in pain for 4 days now and out of work. I could work before this happen.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You first need to find out what is causing your back pain before you can determine if the second D.C. hurt you. ?Frankly, all chiropractors do is give physical therapy so it is unlikely either one did anything of a permanent nature as to your back. ?If you felt no pain, why did you go back for more treatmentsome baloney that they were going to move parts of your spine [they don't, and if they could, then many people would be injured by them since using your hands to "move" bone is not a very accurate method of treatment].
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/28/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
It is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to separate your pre-existing back problem and the damage done by the chiro. At this point, I'm not sure about the full extent of damage done either. That will be important to know to get an idea of the potential value of your claim so it can be compared to the potential cost of pursuing to make sure it is an economically feasible venture. Consider consulting an experienced medical malpractice lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/28/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
The basic principle is to preserve all evidence and consult an experienced personal injury lawyer. Not every bad result of services provided by a health care professional is the result of malpractice. The test is (a) did the defendant owe the plaintiff a duty? (b) Did he or she breach that duty? (c) Was the breach a direct and proximate cause of identifiable harm? and then (d) what damages did the patient (=plaintiff) suffer? All of this must be proven in courtand the path to court sometimes leads to settlements. See a skilled lawyer. Let him or her gather the medical charts, consult experts, and so on. Such a lawyer can also ferret out grounds for damages with which a lay person is not usually familiar.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/28/2015
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
Chiropractic manipulation can cause injury but it will be difficult to prove.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 7/28/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Of course you can sue. However (thanks to the doctor lobby) Med (and Dental) Mal cases are quite difficult. First, one must obtain a certification from an independent doctor that there was negligence. This is where the claim usually stops, as most lawyers will expect the client to cover the costs of this review/report(up to $5,000). Next, most malpractice insurance policies have a provision for approval of any settlement by the insured doctor. That doctor, human nature being what it is, will often refuse to approve any settlement, as he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Finally, there is a cap on how much can be awarded for pain and suffering, thus making these cases unattractive to lawyers. There are lawyers who specialize in Med Mal; your local bar association may be able to refer you to one.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/28/2015
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    You need to edit your post. Chiropractors aren't allowed to give shots. You didn't say that "another doctor" did anything to you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/28/2015
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Well, first things first. You have to find out what this chiro did to you and what it's going to take to recover. These cases take hundreds of hours of attorney time and tens of thousands of dollars in expenses, so it's cost-prohibitive unless there are catastrophic injuries.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 7/28/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You need to look for an attorney who handles Chriopractic Malpractice. This is a specialty, however a google search will likely yield attorneys to speak with. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/28/2015
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    If you can find a chiropractor who will testify that the second chiropractor did something which "deviated from the standard of practice," then you can sue.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/28/2015
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    You cannot sue the chiropractor unless you can get another chiropractor to testify that the chiro deviated from the standard of care in your treatment and that caused you injury.....or if you already were making a claim, Florida law is clear that the original tortfeasor (person who caused the accident) is responsible for all damages, including the damages supposedly caused by malpractice.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/28/2015
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | David Harris
    Whether or not the chiropractor caused any structural damage to your back is the key question for an answer has to be determined by a medical doctor. If the pain is muscle strain or sprain, then the value of the value will likely not rise to the level warranting any legal action. If there was damage done to structures, such as vertebrae, confirmed by a medical doctor (and not pre-existing the chiropractor's treatment), then you may have a claim. Consult an attorney about your circumstances for a review of the details.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/28/2015
Click to View More Answers: