What can I do legally to straighten out my child support? 14 Answers as of June 13, 2013

They were withholding my child support out of my paychecks, then my employer chose not to withhold it for one month. What can I do legally to straighten out my child support?

Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Hire an experienced lawyer.
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
Is not clear what needs to be straightened out. If child support was not withheld from your check and paid over, you owe it and will have to pay it. If your employer is withholding it and not paying it over, the court can address this matter. If there is a court order requiring income withholding, your employer needs to take the money from your check each payday and pay it over.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Your employer is in violation, not you.
Sounds like your employer has made a mess for you. You are at risk for all kinds of problems if your child support is not paid. Jail time. Court motion to hold you in contempt of court. There is a lot at risk here, and you do not want to lose all of that. You need a lawyer to sit down with you and give you some advice.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
Get an appointment with DCSS to find out whether you are in arrears and make up the difference. You may have to file for. Hearing requesting an audit.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    Try contacting the Friend of Court for guidance. Otherwise, hire an attorney.
    As the funds were not withheld, pay them directly, by check and get a receipt.
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    You will have to make arrangements to pay the arrears.
    Pay it, I am sure the month it was not withheld you knew, the obligation is yours not the companies if they did not withhold but you received the money whats the problem pay it.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    Contact the District Attorney and show then the paycheck which shows either the employer took the money out and did not forward it to the DA's office or did not take the money out to begin with. Either way the employer has some explaining to do to the DA's office.
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    If your child support is being collected by Child Support Services, go to their office and make a personal payment for your arrears and any interest that may have accrued. Make sure that you are brought current. If you pay directly to the children's mother, make sure your write in the memo line the month and year your are paying to bring yourself current.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    In Michigan, there are several things that can be done regarding how child support is paid. First of all, you can file a motion to modify if the amount needs to be adjusted based on a change of income. You can ask the Friend of the Court for an accounting to make sure you have paid the right amount. If you are behind, and this was due to an employer error, you will need to bring the account up to date but can pay the arrearage over an appropriate amount of time. To make sure your rights are protected and you receive credit for everything you have paid, it is best to consult with an attorney and conduct a full review of your support obligation.
    Theodora Fader | Theodora Fader
    You should make the support payments yourself through your local Friend of the Court or the Michigan State Disbursement Unit. If you need information on how or where to make payments so that they will be properly credited, you should contact your local Friend of the Court office or check its website.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Pay the child support.