What can I do, legally, if someone knowingly files a fraudulent claim by claiming my children untruthfully? 1 Answers as of March 04, 2011

What is the penalty, if any, for someone who knowingly claims children fraudulently on their tax return? A family member has done this to me. I have full custody and my children live with me. There is no question as to wether or not I have the right to claim them. This person has done this to purposly cause finacial difficulties for me. This was done to me out of spite and anger because I would not agree to letting this person claim my children on their tax return. Since this person has done this anyway, is there any penalty other than having to pay back the IRS, plus interest? I feel that this person should also be held accountable for purposly causing me trouble. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Only remedy is with IRS.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: