What can I do the keep my immigration status current after separation? 2 Answers as of April 11, 2011

We are planning on legally separating, but our Greencard is pending. What happens if we separate? Do I lose my status? We are living separately now. Will not filling papers help? What can I do the keep my status current after separation? Any precaution or paperwork I should do? Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Your separation from your sponsoring spouse should not in and of itself prevent you from receiving your greencard.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/11/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If your marriage is not viable, then you cannot obtain a green card through it. Instead you need to withdraw the case and then either depart the US or see if there is a different non-immigrant visa category which will enable you to remain in the US. It is dangerous to move forward on a case when you are certain that your marriage is not sustainable.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: