What can I do in this fight for child custody? 1 Answers as of March 23, 2011

I have a son and his father is unknown my boyfriend has been with my son and I since his birth but is not on the birth certificate. He has helped me raise him. I recently caught a theft case while being on felony probation for a prior theft and now am looking at jail time. Meanwhile I want my son to stay with my sister who is a good Christian family and already has other adoptive children that she cares for. I want to allow my boyfriend to stay in contact by weekends if he wishes, except my boyfriend and his family are threatening to go to court and take guardianship/custody and try to fight me and my sister. Can they do that?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
If your boyfriend has helped raise your son as his own, and has held himself out as his father, then it is possible the court could find him to be the father of your son. I suggest you immediately address this issue before you go to jail. If you are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: