What can I do in Ohio if I do not like the way my personal injury lawyer is representing me? 3 Answers as of November 06, 2012

A car recently struck my son, and I had my old lawyer represent him. He had represented me when I got hurt at work, but I am not happy with the way he is representing my son. My son cannot walk well, and it is worsening. Now I do not know what to do.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Generally, you have the right to change attorneys at any time. If the attorney is working on a contingent fee agreement, he/she may be entitled to compensation for the value of the services they rendered, but typically that is handled at the end of the case. I generally suggest meeting with the attorney in person to discuss your concerns and if you are still not satisfied, you can hire new counsel. However, you must take into consideration timing issues such as whether or not you have a pending trial date, a statute of limitations approaching or any other issues that may make it difficult to find another attorney. You can always speak with another attorney for a second opinion. You may contact our office to schedule an appointment if you have further questions or if you need assistance with this issue. You can also schedule an appointment or obtain additional information at our websites.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/6/2012
Elk & Elk
Elk & Elk | Arthur Elk
In Ohio, a client can terminate the attorney-client relationship at any point if they no longer want to be represented by their attorney and are free to seek new counsel as they so choose. It is always a good idea to try to address concerns directly with one's attorney and to try to resolve any issues that are creating a lack of client satisfaction. Ultimately, it is very important that a client feel confident in placing trust in their attorney.

If a client cannot obtain this type of confidence and trust in their attorney, and wishes terminate the representation, sending a written letter to the attorney signed by the client which states and confirms that the client no longer wants representation and is requesting a copy of their file will effectively terminate the representation.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/4/2011
Ron Graham Attorney at Law
Ron Graham Attorney at Law | Ron Graham
You have to fire him and pay whatever expenses he has expended.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: